When To Seek Medical Care

When to call the doctor

A person should call the doctor if they, or a loved one has signs and symptoms of sepsis. If any of the following are true about the patient's medical history they need to be especially vigilant regarding possible sepsis symptoms if the patient:

  • is being treated with chemotherapy or radiation;
  • has had an organ transplant;
  • has diabetes;
  • has AIDS; or
  • is are concerned that the patient may have sepsis and develops fever or chills or any other signs and symptoms.

When to go to the hospital

  • If a child younger than 60 days has fever, lethargy, poor feeding, a change in normal behavior, or an unusual rash, call the doctor and proceed to the hospital.
  • If you have a family member with confusion, dizziness, fast heartbeat, fast breathing, fever, chills, rash, or dizziness, call your doctor immediately or go to the hospital's emergency department.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License